Wednesday, February 18, 2009

All better...

We're all better! What a week! I am so glad it's over.
A few things I learned this time:
~I have "mommy ears". You'd think sleep deprivation would take it's toll, lessening my ability to respond quickly to a sick child. Not so. I awoke at the slightest sound of a possibly-puking child and was there with the bucket or trash can before it could hit the sheets or the carpet. One night, I came back to bed and saw my husband--who typically sleeps on the couch--and thought "when did he crawl in here?" This sort of thing has happened before and I am admittedly a little freaked out that someone could get into bed next to me and I apparently don't even know it. On the other hand, I was secretly impressed with myself that I could hear "sick sounds" while sleeping and get there in time.
~When kids are sick, I look at food in a whole different way. I don't feed anything that would seriously affect me if I saw it again later--if you know what I mean...
~In a small and, selfishly indulgent way, I was a little jealous of those in my family who got to lay around and watch movies and sleep all day. I have no idea what that would be like. I'm picturing the house caving in and the health inspector and social worker showing up...
~I WISH I had a nickel for every time I tell my kids to wash their hands. They may grow up thinking their siblings are toxic. They rarely see the inside of a store and know that the reason is because "there's GERMS in there!!!!!"
~I sunk to a new low on the germ-a-phobe scale. When I went in to Linnea's room to bring her a drink of water and empty her "basin", I donned rubber gloves and tied a dishtowel over my nose and mouth. I cleverly disguised my distain for this task by saying "this is a stick-up", which made her smile. Maybe I'm not the worst mommy ever???????
~No matter how many times I washed my hands (which was getting up close to a million, I swear), when you have little kids who are throwing up ON you, around you, at your feet, and on each other--you're probably going to get it, too. (I was BEGGING God to spare me, but He had other plans. At least mine was short-lived, about 6 hours of feeling REALLY crummy.) Getting sick is not a failure on my part, although this is very hard for me to accept.
~I am thankful for Tylenol/Motrin. I imagine those pioneer mamas who could do nothing to help their sick children, often watching them die within a short matter of time. I am thankful for hot running water, telephones, washing machines and hospitals. I don't use meds if I can at all avoid it, but knowing they are available is comforting. Same with hospitals. Dehydration is a very real concern when little ones can't keep anything down. Knowing I could get an iv if needed helped stave off some of the helplessness I felt. (I think Elijah was close to being dehydrated. Then, he turned a corner and started keeping things down.)

OK, I'd better get off the computer and get kids through the tub. Linnea and Andrew are at AWANA, and Christopher is in the barn with Daddy and the big boys. It's just Ruby and Elijah with me in the house--but they're the two who require the most attention! Typing with a five month old in your lap is no easy thing. And it smells like Elijah's been busy...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...