Saturday, April 25, 2009

Things I Used to Do, But Don't Anymore

* I used to wear socks with my sandals. I don't anymore.
* I used to desire clothing that said Esprit, Paris Sport Club or BUM. I don't anymore.
* I used to pin my pant legs. Really tight. I don't anymore.
* I used to roll my pant legs. Really tight. I don't anymore.
* I used to wear banana clips. I don't anymore.
* I used to consume an entire meal without getting up out of my chair. I don't anymore.
* I used to think twice before touching things that are gross. I don't anymore.
* I used to think I needed "experts" to teach my children and so I put my boys on a bus to be taught by employees of the state. I don't anymore. (Now I know that I am the expert on my children and I teach them at home.)
* I used to think all naughty behavior was clearly due to a lack of training. I don't anymore.
* I used to think that laundry baskets were for laundry. I don't anymore. (Now I know that they also work for playing "dog cages", turtle shells, and for general entertainment purposes like hitching yourself to one with a rope and carting your siblings around the house.)
* I used to not allow my boys to play with toy guns. Not anymore. This change happened when I noticed that they would make guns out of their hands, graham crackers, and/or sandwich crusts no matter what I said or did anyway.
* I used to be unaware that if you didn't want information broadcast to the people who stop to chat in grocery store aisles that you don't tell that information to your kids. Even if you say "but we don't need to mention that to people..." your kids will still say it and then say, "but Mom said we shouldn't mention that..." I know this now.
* I used to think the idea of washing poo was gross. I don't anymore. (In fact, I've now crossed over into "I-can't-believe-I'm-going-to-just-throw-this-away"-when-I-use-a-disposable-diaper type of thinking.)
* I used to see a motorcycle on the road and think "Hm. A motorcycle." Not anymore. Now I see a motorcycle (or horse or bulldozer or police car or airplane--not on the road, but in the air--) and say "HEY KIDS---LOOK! A MOTORCYCLE (or horse or bulldozer or police car or airplane)!!!!"
* I used to see a sunrise/sunset and not comment anymore. Now, I proclaim the beauty of God's creation to my children.
* I used to keep all these thoughts to myself. I don't anymore. Now I blog!

1 comment:

  1. And, I am so glad that you do, blog that is! What a great way to get your thoughts out and have an outlet of sorts! I also enjoy reading what you write!

    Tami

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...